Philadelphia District Attorney Primary Takes Shape
Seven Democratic candidates filed for the office as of the filing deadline.
The Candidates are:
- Teresa Carr Deni, a Municipal Court Judge in Philadelphia.
- Tariq El-Shabazz, a former first deputy district attorney and private attorney.
- Joe Khan, a former city and federal prosecutor.
- Lawrence Krasner, a defense attorney in Philadelphia.
- Rich Negrin, a former city managing director.
- John O’Neill, a Philadelphia based attorney.
- Michael Untermeyer, a former assistant district attorney.
El-Shabazz’s campaign claimed they had filed over 8,000 signatures with the city.
Update: Khan’s campaign says they filed 3,700 signatures with the city.
The Republican primary will not have nearly the amount of activity the Democratic primary appears to have, with only one candidate on the ballot. Beth Grossman will be the only name on the ballot in May. Grossman is a former lawyer in the District Attorney’s office.
The campaigns will now turn their attention from gathering signatures to pouring over the signatures gathered by the other campaigns. They will look for enough problems with signatures to get their name removed from the ballot.