Reader Poll: Should PA Society Have Been Canceled This Year?

New YorkPennsylvania Society is nearly upon us but we still don’t have a budget.

In fact, it’s looking like the previous progress in Harrisburg was for naught and the stalemate may continue to drag on.

Given this reality, there’s been plenty of commentary about holding a fancy gathering while the state suffers without a budget.

A weekend of parties in New York doesn’t look good when contrasted with those losing vital services in the Keystone State.

We want to find out what you think.

Should PA Society Have Been Canceled This Year?


  • Yes (71%)
  • No (29%)

Total Voters: 874

Loading ... Loading ...

December 8th, 2015 | Posted in Features, Front Page Stories, Harrisburg, Poll, Top Stories | 16 Comments

16 thoughts on “Reader Poll: Should PA Society Have Been Canceled This Year?”

  1. anonymous says:

    The issue isn’t whether or not it happens. As I understand it started by New Yorkers with PA roots gathering to talk about PA happenings once a year. The issue is should State Reps and Senators attend. Alot didn’t. Still many did. That is the issue.

  2. BC Davis says:

    The budget and PA Society are not connected and as several have already mentioned. PA Society is well beyond what goes on (or doesn’t happen) under the dome. It is a celebration of PA Business and success. I’ll wager people will enjoy it more with fewer of the State Senators and Reps in attendance because of the budget, more of a throw back to the roots of the weekend. Raise a glass to the Commonwealth.

  3. ken brandt says:

    one has nothing to do with the other this dinner is for all residents of Pa. and has a wonderful reputation of promoting our state in the big apple

  4. Gary says:

    Really!!! How sad when our biggest concern is whether or not a party should be held … We should be concerned and outraged that people of the commonwealth are suffering. How low have our elected leaders sunk??

  5. Politico1 says:

    tommyd: Not sure what there is to “use.” The concept that every member in every caucus and the governor are at fault is a fantasy. One caucus refuses to acquiesce to the deal that the other 4 groups of worked on. So the other 80% of the folks should be penalized for the inaction of a few people in the other 20%?

  6. Charlotte Hummel says:

    Does anyone know when the last sessions are to be held on Thursday (or wed)? Perhaps we can block the exits in the capital until they deal with the budget.

  7. tommyd says:

    Dear PoliticsPA – please publish a list of all legislators attending the PA Society so we can use it against them.

  8. Why do I need to be mayor again!? says:

    Nothing lost on The Lost Dutchman’s comment but What would circumstances have to be to see a voter revolt – a complete ‘one and done’ voter revolt?

  9. gulagPittsburgh says:

    Actually, what PA needs is sober and serious govt, not drunken fools, as per usual.

  10. Montco PA Dem says:

    This and every year. And it has nothing to do with the budget.

  11. Josh Lyman says:

    The fact that this has to be asked is what is wrong with this government.

  12. David Diano says:

    If they go to PA Society in NYC, do we have to let them back into PA after the weekend? Can NYC keep them?

  13. Indeed says:

    The Lost Dutchman said it best.

    Let them blow off steam and make moves away from home for a weekend. It does not really cost other than lost revenue that NYC sees over a weekend, but Pa gets back in spades over a year.

    All from a bunch of refreshed movers and shakers who normally don’t see each other, bounce off of each other for a weekend in an unfamiliar and neutral space…raise a little hell, have some fun, make good connections…

    It’s called a retreat, just on a mammoth scale. It’s a net net good thing.

  14. HaHaHa says:

    Sorry “Lost.” These crises are the fault of the Repervlicans who manufacture them.

  15. Chris says:

    Let’s just cancel it. Budget or not.

  16. The Lost Dutchman says:

    Let’s be honest, having our entire political class get drunk is probably our best hope of resolving the budget crisis.

Comments are closed.