A month after nine Republicans spoke out in support of Democratic gubernatorial candidate Josh Shapiro, seven more stepped forward on Tuesday to lend their names to the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s candidacy.
This group of Republican endorsers for Shapiro includes the former U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security under President George W. Bush, former Pennsylvania State Senators and Representatives, and the former District Attorney of Bucks County.
The Republican leaders who are endorsing Shapiro include:
- Michael Chertoff, Former United States Secretary of Homeland Security
- Mario Civera, Former PA State Representative and Chair of the Delaware County Council, Delaware County
- David Heckler, Former Bucks County District Attorney, PA State Senator, and PA State Representative, Bucks County
- Raymond Bunt Jr., Former PA State Representative, Montgomery County
- Jim Kelly, Former PA State Representative and Deputy Assistant Secretary of Commerce, Allegheny County
- Beverly Mackereth, Former PA State Representative, Secretary of the Pennsylvania
“I am proud to receive the endorsement of these Republican leaders who are putting our Commonwealth ahead of partisan politics in order to come together and move Pennsylvania forward,” said Shapiro. “From cutting taxes and getting our economy moving again, to improving our schools and keeping our communities safe, I know we can work together to get things done for Pennsylvania. I have always worked to bring Republicans and Democrats together – and that’s exactly what I will continue to do in this campaign and as Governor.”
“I dedicated my career in public service to upholding the rule of law and defending the Constitution,” said Chertoff. “Right now, we all have a responsibility to support candidates of whichever party who will stand up and defend our democracy. Although I am a long-standing Republican, I am deeply troubled by Doug Mastriano’s embrace of dangerous extremism. Josh Shapiro, on the other hand, is a staunch defender of our democratic institutions and will lead Pennsylvania with honor and integrity.”
“In his years in public service, Josh Shapiro has always led with integrity, bringing people together and fighting for the best interests of Pennsylvanians,” said Civera.
“Josh is smart, principled and driven to actually make a difference and he has stood with the law enforcement professionals of Pennsylvania during these troubled times,” said Heckler. “Although I am a Republican, I consider Mr. Mastriano to be completely out of his league. He is ill informed, divisive and unworthy to be Governor of this Commonwealth.”
The PoliticsPA average of polls shows Shapiro with a 7.7-point lead over Mastriano.