Close this search box.

Morning Call/Muhlenberg College Poll: Biden Holds Sizable Lead, Sanders in Second in PA Dem Primary

He’s yet to officially jump in the race, but the former Vice President leads another 2020 Democratic primary poll in Pennsylvania.

According to a new Morning Call/Muhlenberg College poll, former Vice President Joe Biden holds a lead just about on par with the current Real Clear Politics average.  

When asked who they would support if the Pennsylvania Democratic primary were held today, 28% selected Biden, while Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) carried 16% of the vote. None of the other 2020 Democratic presidential hopefuls surpassed the double digit threshold, while 20% responded that they remain unsure of who to vote for. Rounding out the rest of the eight candidates polled, Sens. Kamala Harris (D-CA) and Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) were locked at 8% each, with South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg at 4%, and Sens. Cory Booker and Amy Klobuchar tied at 3% each with former Texas Congressman Beto O’Rourke.

The poll, surveying 405 registered Democratic voters in Pennsylvania, collected data from April 3-10, 2019. The margin of error for this survey is +/- 5.5 percentage points at a 95% confidence level.

Biden’s strongest support comes from conservative and moderate Democrats polled, while Sanders and Warren performed best with the “very liberal” wing of the party. Just over half of those polled, 51%, identified as somewhat or very liberal, while 27% said they were moderate Democrats, with 18% polled considered themselves as either very conservative or somewhat conservative Democrats.

Biden also carries a slight advantage over Sanders in excitement and comfort level. 50% feel comfortable voting for Biden, while 19% expressed being excited to vote for him. Just over 4 in 10 voters feel comfortable voting for Sanders, while 17% said they were excited to vote for the Vermont Senator. Warren finished third in excitement level with 14%, while Harris followed with 12%, and O’Rourke finishing at 10%.

When considering the potential 2020 matchup against President Donald Trump, Democratic voters were willing to select a candidate that they may disagree with often, but has a better chance at beating Trump. 55% polled said they would select a candidate that they agree with less, but has a better chance to beat Trump, while 30% said they’d prefer to have a candidate that they mostly agreed with, but would have a hard time beating Trump, with 15% saying they aren’t sure.

One thing Democrats are rather united on in this poll is agreeing upon their most important issue. A third of those polled selected healthcare as the most important issue, while the only other category that reach double digits was beating Trump at 10%. Character/honesty carried 6% of the vote, with education, economy and environment locked at 5% each, and immigration at 4%.

See the full data here.

5 Responses

  1. Biden is well known in PA and my guess his numbers won’t change much. He will win the state in the April primary assuming he is still in the race and has at least 2 viable opponents. Interestingly, in CA Biden is also first and Harris is in third which is her home state. Also in Mass. Biden is first and Warren is third in her home state. All are indications that he is a strong candidate and those other candidates are much weaker than they should be at this stage. Biden looks in good shape.

  2. Anybody is better than that sick piece of fecal matter that is in the White House now.

  3. Joe Biden has suffered deeply and bounced back to be an example of how to prevail in the hardest of times. Losing a wife and daughter as a young U.S. Senator and the later in life losing a son he was grooming for a political career make him an attractive Presidential candidate. He can understand the suffering of his fellow man. I think there will be a time for the next generation to claim their moment in the sun but this particular election is very critical and a man of depth and decency is needed to stand up for what is good and right the ship of state. Go Joe Biden!

  • Understanding that basic education funding should/will be first, what should be the next highest priority for the General Assembly?

    • Raising The Minimum Wage (25%)
    • Legalizing Adult-Use Marijuana (24%)
    • None of the above. Something Else. (20%)
    • Economic Development (14%)
    • Higher Education (8%)
    • Public Transportation (8%)
    • Workforce Opportunities and Innovation (2%)

    Total Voters: 51

    Loading ... Loading ...
Continue to Browser


To install tap and choose
Add to Home Screen